Madrone Trail Public Charter School
3070 Ross Lane
Central Point, OR 97502
Position: Kindergarten Assistant
Reports to: Lead kindergarten teacher and School Administrator
Hours: 8:00 am – 3:45 pm, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
8:00 am – 1:30 pm, Wednesdays with option to provide additional childcare on campus from 1:30 – 4:00 pm.
Start date: August 31
Main Features of the Position:
To support the kindergarten teacher in her work and help maintain the kindergarten environment through caring for the children. To help create a warm, supportive atmosphere and the physical and emotional care of the kindergarten children consistent with the best in Steiner education.
- Support the kindergarten teacher in their work and to help maintain the kindergarten environment, including the daily rhythm.
- Be aware of and attend to the needs of the children and situations that may arise.
- To help with the daily preparation of room, materials and activities, prepare the snack and clean as needed throughout the day.
- Supervise the children on the playground, during mealtimes, in the garden, and on walks.
- Help the children during craft and domestic activities, support the listening skills in story time and be actively engaged with the content of circle time, learning the songs and hand gestures. Singing and imitation of the lead teacher who is guiding the activity.
- Communicate with parents and caregivers if required and to keep information confidential.
- Attend kindergarten teacher meetings and parents meetings and festivals whenever possible. Some evenings and weekend days might be included.
- Work within the principles of Waldorf education and be willing to read and study the kindergarten handbook and other pedagogical texts and materials prior to the first day of school.
- Experience of working with children, preferably early childhood experience.
- Personal warmth, patience, tolerance, empathy, understanding and positivity.
- Self motivation, sense of responsibility, flexibility, and punctuality.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Willing to learn and develop the appropriate skills for story telling, puppetry, finger rhymes, songs and poems for kindergarten.
- Ability to perform basic food preparation.
- Working knowledge of basic hygiene in kitchen and bathroom areas and/or food handler’s license.
- Capacity to be a role model worthy of imitation by the children in your care.
- Knowledge and awareness of Steiner and Waldorf teaching practices and principles in the early years.
- A valid 1st aid certificate
- Experience working with children with special needs.
Please send resume and cover letter to Cori Royer, Assistant Director: firstname.lastname@example.org